Oatmeal cookies w/Peanut Butter & Butterscotch Chips

photo by slgckgc
A cookie with no chocolate this time but still delicious!! I do like oatmeal and peanut butter mixed together in any dessert. Cookies sort make me feel like a little kid again. My little brother and I always loved dipping our cookies in a glass of milk, I think a lot of kids like to do that. There's something comforting about that and it brings me back to my childhood. 

You know before I started blogging, I had forgotten a lot of my childhood memories, not because of any unpleasantness or anything like that because I think my family like many have had our share of joys as well as trials. But, when I started going through my pile of recipes and putting them together, they rekindled a time in my life that I really don't think I cherished until now. The times when I sat in my mom's high stool and watched her in the kitchen, all the talks we had around the dinner table when I was about 12. There were bad times before this when we weren't close at all, but I think baking and cooking helped to bring us closer as mother and daughter.

I rarely talk about my early years when we both have a lot of problems, because the latter years with her were so wonderful. I truly believe when we turned our lives over to the Lord is when our relationship truly changed. We began to say, "I Love you" to each other which we didn't do much of before. I finally began to understand her and appreciate how much she tried to do the right things for me even when she made wrong choices. She did try very hard to raise me right and so when I look at all these desserts, I can see her face as though she is right in front of me. I'm so thankful for all my memories with her...good and bad. I learned a lot from her through her mistakes and her victories. It is because of her that I blog about food. There are times when I wish she were here to see what I've been doing. Nevertheless, it sure feels good to be able to do something for her, to give back to her all that she tried to do for me. I know she would love to see this post because oatmeal cookies were her favorite and she definitely loved peanut butter too!

Combine the dry ingredients:
1 c. flour, extra full
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda

In a separate bowl, combine the following:
1 stick butter
1/2 c. white sugar
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. peanut butter
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 egg

Mix until creamy.

Blend in:
1 c. raw oatmeal
1 (6 oz.) pkg. Hershey's butterscotch chips

Add the dry ingredients and mix well until creamy. Make into small balls and press flat on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until slightly brown. Remove from sheet and cool on rack. Store in refrigerator. Can be frozen indefinitely.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

 


 

3 Foodie Groups

Soups, sandwiches, and salads just seem to go together!