Lattice-Topped Cherry Pie

photo by jcroninone
You know how much I like presentation and I'm definitely a lover of great food photography. I am such a visual person and if I can't envision something, it's hard for me to get it. So, not only am I concerned about the content and writing for my blogs, but to a greater degree the photography. I've visited many food sites and the ones that I keep going back to have exquisite photos of the food which makes me...almost demands me to make it.

Today, I'm in a pie mood so my research has been on different pies to write about. One of my favorites is cherry pie, but I wanted to learn how to make the lattice topping which makes the pie look so inviting.

I searched around for a good video demo and found one that I've embedded here that takes you step-by-step 2 methods of making it. One are the weaving effect, but one is quicker than the other.  I prefer the actual weaving (over and under) technique, it may take a little longer, but I just like the end result better. 


I got inspired by the "Better Homes and Gardens" cherry pie recipe, but I changed it up a bit for me. For one, their recipe called for making the lattice strips before completing the cherry pie filling. I prefer to do that after the pie filling is in the pan just before it goes into the oven so the pastry isn't out of the packaging too long. Hope you try this one out. The recipe starts out with Pillsbury refrigerated pie crusts that you roll out. A big help for baker wannabees like me.


Before I post the recipe, I'm putting the video for the lattice pie crust first so you can see it before you get started especially if you've never done this before. I think it's very easy to follow, the lady that teaches this is from Pillsbury.



How to make a lattice top pie crust

Recipe edited from Better Homes and Gardens

Ingredients:
1 15-ounce package rolled refrigerated unbaked pie crusts (2 crusts)
2 14-1/2-ounce cans pitted tart red cherries (water pack)
1-1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 teaspoon almond extract

Let refrigerated pie crusts stand at room temperature according to package directions. Line a 9-inch glass pie plate with a pastry circle; trim to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. For filling, drain cherries, reserving the liquid from 1 of the cans (discard liquid from the other can). In a medium saucepan combine sugar, cornstarch, and cinnamon. Gradually stir in reserved cherry liquid. Cook and stir over medium-high heat just until bubbly. Remove from heat; stir in cherries, butter, and almond extract.

Transfer filling to the pastry-lined pie plate. Roll out remaining pastry and cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips. Weave pastry strips (see video below for instructions on 2 methods of doing this) in a lattice pattern. Press ends of strips into bottom pastry rim. Fold bottom pastry over strip ends; seal and crimp edge.

To prevent overbrowning, cover edge of pie with foil. Bake in the preheated oven for 35 minutes. Remove foil. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes more or until filling is bubbly and pastry is golden. Cool on a wire rack. Makes 8 servings. Serve with some ice cream or frozen yogurt!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

 


 

3 Foodie Groups

Soups, sandwiches, and salads just seem to go together!