"Satisfying" Peach Cobbler

photo by Ralph and Jenny
I know I've talked a lot about how my mom and Groggy baked cobblers when I was a little girl. I grew up eating some of the best I've ever tasted. I even remember my mom baked an apple peach cobbler with the apples and peaches mixed together, then she added a sugar coating to the crust all from scratch! I thought I had never tasted anything more scrumptious in my whole life! I have yet to find a good recipe for an apple peach cobbler since I was so stupid not to get my mom's recipe! 
But I came across this peach cobbler recipe and I think this is pretty close to how my mom made hers. Talking about being in a pie mood, does a cobbler count as a pie?

Ingredients:
8 fresh peaches - peeled, pitted and sliced into thin wedges
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons cornstarch
   
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
1/4 cup boiling water

Mix together:
3 tablespoons white sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

In a large bowl, combine peaches, 1/4 cup white sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon juice, and cornstarch. Toss to coat evenly, and pour into a 2 quart baking dish. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine flour, 1/4 cup white sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, baking powder, and salt. Blend in butter with your fingertips, or a pastry blender, until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in water until just combined.

Remove peaches from oven, and drop spoonfuls of topping over them. Sprinkle entire cobbler with the sugar and cinnamon mixture. Bake until topping is golden, about 30 minutes.

You Might Also Like

2 comments

 


 

3 Foodie Groups

Soups, sandwiches, and salads just seem to go together!